Friday, March 21, 2008

David vs Goliath

You go, Baristas
Starbucks Ordered to Pay Back Tips

I have been a barista since I was 13. I've worked at Starbucks and at independents. I have a lot of respect and love for Starbucks. When I worked there, Shift Supervisors were not allowed tips, and I assumed that was SBUX policy. Apparently, according to the article, it's also a state law in some states regarding supervisors and tips. Good for the front lines for fighting it and winning.

Starbucks is great because they give you health and dental insurance for cheap if you work 20 hours a week. There are only a handful of large companies who do that. That's why I worked there when my non profit jobs were part-time. Sadly, the wages ARE low, so every bit of the tips helps.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I must not be looking hard enough - or maybe the cashier area is filled with so much stuff (mints, cd's, water, gift cards), that I didn't know I was suppose to Tip. Or maybe I was just out of money after buying that coffee...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.