Monday, January 08, 2007

global warming

I just noticed this post from The Richmond Democrat today about the movie "The Inconvenient Truth", which I have not yet seen, but coincidentally saw previews for on a DVD I rented this weekend, which made me want to go out and rent it. RD says about the movie: Gore has framed the debate and from this point forward experts on both sides will be working to support or refute Gore's thesis.

I liked that in the previews for the movie, Al Gore says, "This is not a political issue" which I completely agree on. We all have to live on this Earth. All of us should care what happens to it, in our lifetimes or later.

This is also relevant given all the coverage given to global warming this weekend with the 60 and 70 degree weather. It seemed like every channel I turned on was discussing this (and I did watch a fair bit of the Weather Channel). The consensus seems to be that one or two warm days or months are not enough to cry global warming, but the fact is, is that the Earth's core temperature has been rising steadily for a long time, especially in the last 50 years or so (or longer?). I feel another "End of the World" movie coming up based on global warming. I'm surprised we haven't had a "Deadly Hurricane" or "Tsunami" movie, but I suppose it's too soon after them to do that yet. Remember all the fuss when "World Trade Center" came out? That was also one of the previews of the movie I rented, and now I want to see it.

One of RD's commenters noted:
The Sunday Supper Club will be having a public viewing of this film in the very near future. See their website:sundaysupperclub.org.
Though it appears that group is based out of Fauquier County, VA (I'm not even sure where that is).

They also have a page of links of other organizations dedicated to peace and justice. Will need to go check those out soon.

No comments: